Background Script

Friday 1 August 2014

Bookworm

Dear You,

Since I have finally finished classes, and am well into my internship, I have had a lot more time for myself lately! This means more time for thinking up ideas for things to write to you, and much more time to do something which I have not had the time nor the inclination to do for years -- read. I have been reading a great deal lately, purely for enjoyment, and I am loving every minute of it.

As a child, I always loved losing myself in the make-believe of a good book, making friends with the characters, and inserting myself into the story. If you've ever seen the movie "Matilda" (or read the book, which... let's be honest... in a letter about books? I hope you've read the book.), she and I had the same affinity for books and their characters, to give you an idea of my mentality back in the day.

Today, I still love a good book, although not necessarily all of them fictional. I do enjoy non-fiction as well. I have learned to appreciate the truth as much as imagination. After having studied English as my University major, I needed to break from books for a while. I found myself unable to read anything without dissecting it. Thankfully, I seem to have got over that quite nicely now, and am able to sit down and enjoy a good book for the sake of just enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to writing updates and reviews of what I'm reading, but if you'd like to follow me on a more current basis, you can go ahead and follow me on Goodreads. (The link to my profile is here) I have created a list of books I have already read that you can feel free to browse through. I haven't reviewed or even rated them all, but they're there. (Also, please note that this list is nowhere near exhaustive. I don't think I could ever remember all the books I've ever read!) I've also compiled a secondary list of books that I want to read or will be reading soon. If you would like to see a review or summary of any of those books, please let me know and I will do my best to write something here!

Actually, all of this reading I've been doing has me curious how many people out there still read hard-copy books? That is -- do you read paper books, or do you use an e-reader or tablet? Do you read at all, or do you simply listen to audiobooks? My father, who drove a transport truck for much of his working life, used audiobooks, rather than actual reading. That was predominantly for the fact that one should not read while driving, of course. But, if you don't drive for a living, and you're going to sit down to read, what medium do you use? I've been enjoying the convenience of using my iPad, but I find I sometimes miss carrying a paper book with me. I've also noticed a great number of people on my commute to and from work reading from e-readers and tablets. I have a feeling that this is the way that reading is going to go from here on out.

Pensively Yours,

- A.

No comments:

Post a Comment