Background Script

Sunday 6 October 2013

Crazy

Dear You,

There is a reason I don't have a whole lot of girl friends. Unfortunately, they have a tendency to lose their minds. The ensuing drama is very often more than I can take.

Recently, a girl I used to consider a friend (I say used to because I can no longer consider her among my friends) started a particularly unsavoury bit of drama with one of my good male friends. My friend...  shall we call him "Guy?" Let's do that. Guy is a joker. He plays around with people basically all the time. As long as I've known him, he's been this way.

I was actually present for the beginning of the incident in question. The young lady (we'll call her "Elle" for argument's sake) claims that my friend Guy put his hands in her face in a violent manner, and that he made a threat against her. She was, as you might imagine, upset by this. She went home, and spoke to another party, one who does not know Guy, or myself, and who was not present at the time.

I was there. I saw Guy gesture toward Elle, but I never heard him utter any threats. Guy is a sweetheart. He would never ever hurt a fly, I am confident of that.

Regardless of my confidence in the quality of my friend's character, Elle's friend still decided it would be a great idea to track Guy down at his place of work and confront him over this perceived problem. As you can probably figure out, Guy freaked out. He threw the stranger out, and called the police immediately.

Currently, Elle and Guy, as well as the stranger, all have specific police instructions to stay away from one another.

The part that really confused me is why Elle would not stop her friend. She told me after the fact (as I was playing the part of the mediator to try to keep my friends as friends) that the stranger had gone off the deep end and "wouldn't let it go." Why, then, would you give out the address to Guy's place of work? That, to me, (and correct me if I'm wrong) sounds like you're encouraging this type of vigilante behaviour.

I had no choice, after all of her defending and story-switching, but to vote Elle off the island. I can't be friends with a person who condones this kind of violent and illogical behaviour. I can't be friends with a person who does not accept responsibility for her actions. I can't be friends with a person who refuses to make any attempt to solve an issue reasonably and like adults. It feels tragic, but it has to be done.

Sadly,

- A.

No comments:

Post a Comment